Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Italian Pot Roast with Spicy Tomato Gravy

My cousin made a pot roast for our family last year and topped it with this amazing sauce. No one loves a good sauce better than me! So I was dreaming about it as I walked around Whole Foods and decided I would give it a go.

Pot Roast:
I always start with a bone in chuck or shoulder roast. I just think they tend to turn out more tender and juicy than other cuts. So this time I used a bone in shoulder. I tossed it into my crock-pot with 1/4c water. (I prefer to fix a roast on the stove in a cast iron skillet, but sometimes us working moms have to improvise:) You can use ckn broth or beef broth if you like instead of water... it just ensures it won't burn before all the fat melts off the meat. Ummmm.

I topped the roast with 3T kosher salt, 2T herbs de provence, (italian seasoning will work too) and a little fresh ground black pepper. I cut 5 tomatoes (full sized) in half and threw those in on top of the roast.

Pop the lid on, turn it low, and it should be ready in about 8 hrs.... or whenever you get home from work.

Spicy Tomato Gravy:
Once your roast is ready and it's almost time for dinner, break out the food processor and fish out all the tomatoes and 2 laddles full of pan juice. Blend into a puree' then add 1T of your favorite vinegar or a splash of red wine, 1 entire pod of fresh garlic (peeled), 1T kosher salt, 1t of red pepper flakes(if you want a little more kick) and 1/2 a bunch of parsley (I used flat leaf) Puree' again till everything is gravy consistency.

Top you roast beef with gravy and enjoy!



Parmasean Mashed Potatoes:
Start by washing 6 red potatoes and dicing into fourths. Boil about 10 minutes until peels are losening and potatoes are soft with a fork. Drain and return to the pan. Add 3T butter, 1/4c grated parmasean cheese, 1/8-1/4c heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want them) and salt and pepper to taste. Smash with a fork.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it, I use roma tomatos when I make it but I think any work really. Less water and they hold up a little better in the puree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant sent me the link to your blog. This sounds yummy! Too late to do today, but it maybe tomorrow's meal!

    ReplyDelete