Tuesday, February 15, 2011

COLD weather, HOT food

With all ice and below freezing temps here in Houston, I have been cooking up some hot and spicy food to keep us warm. Even though the ice ruined my girls weekend to Austin, I put on a smiley face and made Grant's 2 favorite cold weather treats.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:
compliments of Sharon Galvan

Puree in food processor: 6 cloves of garlic, 1 small onion, 2 fresh jalapenos (i remove the seeds) 1 can of Rotel, and 1 bunch of cilantro (i cut off the stems)


In a soup pot, bring 14-150z of chicken stock to a boil, stir in above puree, 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce, and 1T salt. Simmer for 1 hour.
Shred a rotisserie chicken and set aside. (or cook and shred your own ckn, I just think this is much faster)
Put tortilla strips or chips in a soup bowl, top with shredded ckn and sliced avocado.


Laddle broth over ckn and chips, top with shredded cheese, green onion, or sour cream!





Boneless Hot Wings
I prepare my hot wings a lot like fried chicken.
Cut Chicken into bite sized chuncks. Dip into egg batter (1 egg beaten together with 1/3c milk) then dip into flour.


All these battered little chickens get dunked into hot grease (super healthy I know) I use Crisco at 350* (if you use a deep fryer the temp can be set... if you use a skillet, I set it on med/high heat 8) They take about 5-7 mins. Place them on paper towels to drain the grease, then throw them in a bowl and sauce em'! I bought sauce this go round and it was super yummy, but you can make your own with just melted butter, garlic powder, and Tabasco.


Since my grease was hot and my kitchen a mess, I threw some potatoes into the food processor on slice mode, then tossed those into the grease for some homemade chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment