Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Viva La Pork!

I was in the mood for some Mexican food this week. (which is not that different from any other week) On Monday a co-worker was talking about this amazing pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce she made over the weekend and it got me thinking about pork carnitas. One of my favorite restraunts in Dallas, Matt's Ranchero, makes these little corn tortillas filled with pulled pork, cheese and avacado..... amazing! So I took her recipe and made it my own in an attempt to create these delicious little tacos. I started by making a marinade for the pork roast to chill in over night. I basically put in things I thought would be yummy.

Pork Roast marinade:
Puree' in food processor 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 bulb of garlic (yeah, I used the whole thing) juice from 1 fresh squeezed lime, 2T of salt ( i would use 3 next time) fresh ground pepper, and enough olive oil to make it liquid enough to pour. I poured the marinade into a large freezer bag with the pork roast, squished out the air, and placed in the fridge for the night.


(oh and just a quick note about the pork.... I used a bone in pork roast. some stores call them pork butt or boston butt)

Yummm, so on to the cooking part! The next morning I dumped the roast, marinade, and 1 cup of ckn broth into my crock-pot and set it on Low. I let it simmer in there for most of the day, 8 hrs. Once cooked, remove roast from pot and shred with two forks. Grant wanted his with corn tortillas wrapped like a taco, I decided to fry my tortillas in a little hot oil to make them more like a tostada (and a little bit less healthy).

I topped them with sour cream, white cheddar, avacado, and salsa. They were super yummy! It was a successful experiment.


Disclaimer: I don't speak ANY spanish so I'm sure everything is misspelled and Viva la pork means slap a pig or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment