Saturday, January 15, 2011

In the Begining

After several months of encouragement and harassment from some very sweet friends, I have finally started a cooking blog! I can't really tell you how I learned to cook. I never use a recipe (although I will have them now). I do think alot of my cooking "skills" came from sitting on my grandmothers kitchen counter every afternoon while she prepared dinner. (She did not even own a cookbook, whereas I read them for fun) This all took place in southern Arkansas, so if you are reading through a recipe and wonder why I would use leftover bacon grease or heavy cream.... it's because that's all I grew up on. OK, so onto the cooking! Tonight I made an antipasta plate and stuffed sweet peppers. The antipasta is a new favorite in this house, thanks to the Lovetts! I'm sharing pics of dinner tonight, but no recipe, b/c the peppers need a little work. I will try them again with a few small changes in a few weeks, and if they are as amazing as I imagine them, I will post a recipe then! In the meantime, here is a Lovett family favorite, since they were the inspiration for tonights dinner and blog.
Stuffed Dates:
Mejoul Dates (pitted, unless you want to do the extra work)
parmesan cheese
bacon (thin slices) or procuito would work

stuff dates with parmesan cheese, wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick, place on foil covered baking sheet and roast at 400 for about 10-15 min
watch them! sometimes the dates can start to burn before the bacon crisps

Enjoy!!


RT

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Finally =) And antipasta....can it get any better!?!?! Looking forward to sharing your blog with the world! We are having friends over tomorrow and if I can find dates in college station I will be making them

    ReplyDelete