Monday, January 24, 2011

Soups

Grant can be the biggest baby when he feels bad. It's funny how we all want certain comfort foods when we don't feel good. So, with a sick husband all week, my menu revolved around soup. (since I can't make anything out of Gatorade) My potato soup is from a recipe the ladies at work shared and I just cut out a few steps. It is super creamy and delicious!

Potato Soup:
Bake 3 medium sized potatoes in microwave, cool and dice into bite size pieces. Set aside. In your soup pot, cook 6 strips of bacon (chopped) over medium high heat. When the bacon starts to crisp add half an onion chopped and saute' with the bacon. Once onion and bacon are fully cooked stir in 1 1/2T of salt and 1T of pepper, 3T flour, and a few shakes of garlic powder. (This should make a kind of paste in your soup pot and will make your soup thick and creamy) slowly add 3 cups of ckn broth while stirring. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Add diced potatoes and 1cup of heavy cream. Lower heat and simmer until ready to serve. Top with cheddar cheese, grn onion, bacon, or croutons... whatever sounds good :)

Freezer Chicken Noodle soup is a last minute staple in our house. I make this anytime I have a half eaten rotisserie ckn sitting in my fridge.

Freezer Ckn Noodle:
Dice any cooked leftover ckn in your fridge and set aside. Bring 6 cups of ckn broth to a boil. Add any veggies you might need to use out of the fridge (carrots, squash, celery, etc) I used all of the above plus a zuchini, onion, and a few pieces of cilantro. I put the carrots in a few minutes before everything else b/c they take longer to cook. You can add any freezer veggies you might have as well. Ava loves when I put edamame in hers. Boil till veggies are tender. Add any pasta from the pantry (about 1/2 a cup) cook for 6-7 minutes,(I used bow tie) add ckn and cook for 1-2 minutes then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment