Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mexican...ish

With Grant out of town earlier this week, I had planned on putting the kids to bed and having a bowl of popcorn for dinner. My sweet friend Amanda called late afternoon requesting dinner at my house and a Real Housewives watch party! I couldn't turn down the opportunity to gossip about the RHW with her so I started digging in my fridge to find something to cook. So this was my Mexican....ish dinner in under 30 minutes.

Mexican...ish.

Chicken:
I grabbed 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, did a quick salt and pepper all over and covered with bread crumbs. (You can rinse your chicken with cool water first to help the breadcrumbs stick) I heated 2T of olive oil over med-high heat (thats a 7 on my cooktop) tossed in the chicken breasts and cooked till brown and crispy. (About 6 minutes each side depending on the thickness) Set your chickens aside.

Relish:
I had a 4 beautiful fresh jalapenos from my neighbors garden in the fridge. I LOVE caramelized jalapenos! They are so sweet and not hot at all. Cut the jalapenos length wise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Dice up the peppers and put them in a skillet with 2T of butter and a pinch of Kosher salt.

Cook the with 3 slices of purple onion (diced) over medium low heat for about 20 minutes. (the slower, the sweeter) Once browned and kind of withered looking remove from pan and set aside.

Corn:
My husband loves this corn and it is the easiest thing to make in a hurry.

Place 1/2 bag of frozen white corn kernels in a skillet with 2T of butter and saute' 4-5 minutes over medium high heat until soft, warm, and some kernels are turning brown.

Place hot corn into a bowl and add 1/3 pkg of softened cream cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and stir together. (Usually I add a small can of green chilies or caramelized jalapenos to the mixture for some extra kick) Serve warm.

I placed the chicken on the plate with a scoop of corn and dressed them both with the relish and sliced tomatoes. It looked fancy enough for company, but was super quick and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment